Thursday, April 18, 2013

Vangi Bath - Brinjal Rice



Vangi Bath - Brinjal Rice



My very first recipe which I learnt from my MIL. Before marriage I never tried this recipe out. Amma never used to make this recipe. I dono wat was the reason. But TH loves it and in my in-laws place they used to make it very often. It’s actually an easy recipe for making in a hurry-burry morning. My MIL used to make stuffed-brinjal dry curry in the same way. All these recipes are very new to me and I feel it sucks too much of oil in it. So I have reduced the frequency of making it.


Here I have used big-sized purple colored aubergine. To my opinion, green-colored small brinjal tastes too good for this recipe. 

Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20-25 mins

Ingredients


2 cups of cooked rice
5-6 small brinjals
1 finely chopped onion
1tsp chopped garlic
Salt (as per taste)
2tbsp sesame oil
Chopped Coriander leaves

Dry roast and grind

6-7 red chillies
1 tsp coriander seeds
1tsp urad dal
1tsp channa dal
½ tsp sesame
1 tsp dry coconut/grated coconut

To temper

1tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp urad dal
½ tsp channa dal
Pinch of hing/perungayam
Few curry leaves

 How to make it

  • Dry roast the items given. Follow the order. Take care not to burn the ingredients. It’s better to roast in low flame. I haven’t used coconut in my dish, but the original recipe includes that. If ur using grated coconut add at the end of roasting (after switching off the stove). Cool it and grind in a mixer into a powder form.

  • Cut brinjal into finger length and keep immersed in water until you use.
  • In a kadai heat oil and temper with the items. Add the chopped onions and garlic. Sauté till it becomes golden brown.


  • Add the chopped brinjal without water. Cook till it becomes soft by closing the lid, in medium flame. (Don’t add water). Allow it to cook in the oil itself. Add some more oil if needed.

  • Once it is cooked add half of the ground powder on to it. Mix well. Check for salt.

  • Let it cool for some time. Then add cooked rice with the masala. Add the remaining powder on top of the rice and again mix well.
  • Serve with raitha or simply curd. I had with papad.

Linking this Recipe to: Cooking with Seeds Rice Event 



No comments:

Post a Comment