Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Mutton Biryani - Mutton Dum Biryani - Lamb Biryani



Mutton Biryani - Mutton Dum Biryani - Lamb Biryani



No one will compromise anything with their mother’s preparation. Yes definitely I am one among them… my mom used to make biryani with seeraga sambha rice. Generally in South India people use seeraga sambha where as North Indians use basmathi rice for biryani. I have tried both the rice and they tastes well.  In dindugalthalapakkati they always use the authentic ingredients and prepare with seeraga sambha. I love the taste of it. But TH likes biryani when it is cooked with basmati rice. Hmmm....!!! Taste differs from person to person..



 I can say biryani is the easiest recipe, if u goes with the right procedure. I tried chicken biryani many times and it never ruined me. I have heard cooking mutton biryani is tedious. So I wanted to give it a try.Here in US we got lamb. Lamb is very tender and cooks easily. So I dint use pressure cooker and all that. I just boiled with some water. But, goat is not like dat. It needs to be pressure cooked. You can also marinate some masalas with the mutton pieces before cooking.

In this method I tried “dum” using dough. Generally people use charcoal on top to put dum. It is not  possible for me to do it here as my fire alarm will screw me here. So I have used wheat flour and made it as dough. I sealed biryani completely so that the flavor retains in it. 






Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time : 1 hour


Ingredients

2 cups of Basmathi rice
¼ kg Mutton
3 onions (straight-wise cut)
2 tomatoes (chop finely)
1-2 green chillies
1 ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 bunch of mint leaves
1 bunch of coriander leaves
2tbsp Chilli powder (adjust to taste)
1tbsp Coriander powder/dhaniya powder
1 tbsp turmeric powder
½ tsp lemon juice
1 cup plain curd
Salt (to taste)
2tbsp Oil
2tbsp ghee

To temper

2 bayleaf
2-3 cardamom
3 cloves
1-2 cinnamon

How I made it

  • Cut mutton pieces into small cubes. Wash and rinse with water, so that u doesn’t see any trace of blood in it. Apply some turmeric powder on it and wash again. This helps to clean off any dirt in it.
  • Pressure cook the mutton cubes for about 4-5 whistles (depends on the toughness of the meat). If the meat is so tender keep for 3-4 whistles.
  • Wash and soak rice in 3 cups of water for about half an hour.
  • In a kadai fry only the rice (without water) for 2-3 mins with few drops of oil. This helps the rice to remain long-grained. Keep aside. Preserve the water for further use.
  • In a heavy bottomed vessel add oil and ghee.  Temper with the items given and add onions. Fry till the onions goes gooey and add ginger-garlic paste. Mix completely. Fry the raw smell goes off.

  • Now add the cooked mutton pieces to it. Follow by adding cleaned and chopped mint and coriander leaves. 

  • Add tomatoes and smash it well.
  • Mix together. Add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and curd. Make a thick paste of everything.
  • Now add the preserved water and allow boiling. Add the fried rice and check for salt at this time.

  • Make dough either with wheat or maida. Roll and seal the corners of the vessel completely. Close with the lid tightly without allowing any vapors to go out.
  • If ur vessel is heavy bottomed never mind, else u can use a pan/skillet as u see below. Keep adding some hot water in the pan (just like a double boiler)
  • Let it cook in low flame (it took about 40 mins for me). Switch off the stove when u see vapor coming out and the dough becomes dry.

  • Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with raitha. We enjoyed having it with boiled egg.



Linking this Recipe to: Cooking with Seeds Rice Event 




1 comment:

  1. My fav briyani ever, esp mutton, Thanks for ur compliment dear..Loved the step wise details

    ReplyDelete