Monday, December 16, 2013

Methi Tepla Recipe | Gujarati Methi Tepla Recipe


I never failed to grab a bunch of methi leaves whenever I see it fresh in the market. Methi leaves or fenugreek leaves has a distinct taste than the other greens. I love the taste even if it is dried, which we call as kasoori methi. I prefer to add kasoori methi to most of my gravies. When I was in India, I had a cute little garden in my terrace which had mint, coriander, tomatoes, curry leaves and also methi leaves. I planted fenugreek seeds to get the methi leaves. In that way I had my own-grown fresh veggies. It is always fun to plant ur own veggies and the joy when u get ur first bud is enormous which can’t be expressed.



Whenever I think of methi tepla, I remember the Kashmir trip we went in my college. We went to Kashmir Vaishno Devi temple and also to Delhi and Punjab. It was a ten day trip and we had lots and lots of fun there. We used to travel in Air bus to visit the places and there won’t be time to spend for breakfast, since we ran out of it. So we need to skip our breakfast and sometimes even lunch. 


One of my Gujju friend had brought these teplas along with some pickle. Her mom made the best tepla I had in my lifetime and it was super delicious to have after a day of starving. Wen I made this tepla I remembered the good old days!!! Feeling nostalgic… the main reason in writing in this story is, you can store the teplas in room temperature for weeks… It never gets spoiled so easily. It can be a life savior in ur busy picnic schedules. 


Preparation time: 5-7 mins
Cooking time: 1-2 mins

Ingredients

1 cup wheat flour/all purpose flour
½ tsp chilli powder
1tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp garam masala
½ tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp ginger-garlic paste (optional)
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt (to taste)
¼ cup methi leaves
Oil/butter

How to make it

  • Wash and chop the methi leaves and sauté with little of oil. Splutter cumin seeds before adding the leaves.


  • In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients given (except oil). Knead it into soft dough, as like we do for chapathi. Click here to check.


  • Make equal balls of the dough and roll out to a thin chapathi. Tepla must be thinner than the usual chapathi. So roll out as thin as possible.



  • In a dosa pan grease oil/butter and roast this tepla on two sides till it gives out brown spots. Add butter/oil as needed.






Notes
  1. Use fresh methi leaves for this recipe. If u don’t find have any in stock you can replace that with dry methi leaves (kasoori methi).
  2. Using buttermilk to knead the dough gives smooth tepla. But I prefer to use water. If don’t find any difference in taste.
  3. Be more generous in adding butter, since it enhances the taste better.
  4. Store it in an airtight container or a Ziploc bags. It can be used for more than 2 weeks, when stored properly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment