Tamil Nadu Style Fish Curry - Meen Kuzhambu Recipe
¼ kg Fish
1-2 garlic pods
2 tsp chilli powder
3tsp coriander powder/dhaniya powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1tsp Mustard seeds
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
Fistful curry leaves
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
How I made
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 10-15 mins, and then extract the juice. Make sure to extract thick juice. If ur using tamarind paste as such, take 2tbsp and add 1cup (200ml) water. Keep aside
- In a kadai heat oil and temper the items given. Add the chopped onions and chopped garlic. Fry till the onions becomes golden brown. Add the chopped tomatoes. Smash it well and add chilli and coriander powder.
- Add the extracted tamarind water to it. Mix well and allow it to boil well forming a thick gravy form.
- Dilute the gravy with some water (another 1 cup) and check for spiciness and salt.
- Once the gravy consistency is obtained add the cleaned fish to it. Allow to boil for 3-5 minutes. Once it boils switch off the stove and keep for some time. Serve hot with rice, idli, dosa.
Tips to enhance the flavor
- I prefer using sesame oil for making all varieties of kara kuzhambu
- Adding too much of fenugreek seeds for tempering will give bitterness to the kuzhambu.
- Vadavam is something which is done using sundried onions, garlic. We don’t get vadavam in US, so amma sent me from India. Once this packet is over sure I ll make my own and post the recipe. J
- If u don’t have vadavam at home, neva mind. Skip dat step and continue with the next step.
- Always make sure to extract thick paste of tamarind juice. Cos the entire taste of meenkuzhambu is completely depend on the thickness.
- If u add excess of water, try to reduce it by boiling at low flame. Or add some more coriander powder. This will give thickness to the gravy.
- Amma use clay pot/manchatti for making meen kuzhambu. This will enhance the taste for meen kuzhambu. Generally meen kuzhambu will give an extraordinary taste on the next day. So if u make meen kuzhambu preserve something for the next day and taste it.
- Cleaning fish is another tedious job. Here we used to get cleaned and packed fish but still I used to clean it for my satisfaction. Adding turmeric powder will remove the smell and the antibacterial tendency will work on it.
- I have tried using tilapia and catfish. both came out well. you can also try with any fish of ur choice.
- Take care not to overcook the fish. Generally fish needs 4-5 mins to cook. If overcooked it will lose its own tenderness and make the whole meenkuzhambu a messy look.