Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Kale Stir-Fry | Kale leaves Poriyal


I generally love to have greens (keerai) in my meal every day. When I was in India, I love to have all varieties of keerai especially siru keerai (tropical amaranthus) poriyal. But it became tough for me to get the fresh greens here. I never even attempted to buy frozen foods which are packed from India. So I wanted to give a try with the greens which are available here. I tried to make poriyal with kale and it turned out awesome. I served it with the spicy garlic kuzhambu and with some vadams topped with a spoon of ghee. It tasted heavenly. Please do try this at home and let me know the reviews.


Preparation time: less than 5 mins
Cooking time: 10-15mins

Ingredients

1 cup chopped kale
1 small-sized onion (thinly sliced)
2 green chillies
1-2 tsp chopped garlic
¼ cup moong dhal/paasi paruppu
2tsp grated coconut
Salt
To temper
2tsp coconut oil
1tsp mustard
½ tsp cumin
1-2 red chillies (optional)

How to make it

  • Wash the kale leaves and chop it finely. Thinly slice the onions and slit the green chillies. Chop garlic as per ur wish. Wash and soak moong dal for 15mins.

  • In a pan heat coconut oil and splutter mustard and cumin seeds. Add red chillies if using.
  • Add the sliced onions, garlic and green chillies. Fry them for a minute or two.

  • Then add the chopped kale leaves. Sauté and then add water till it immerse well.

  • Allow it to cook soft in medium flame. Mean while cook the moong dal either in a pan/cooker or microwave it for a minute.

  • Now add the cooked dal to the half cooked kale and close the lid. Cook further till the water evaporates.

  • Finally add the grated coconut and mix well.
  • Serve with steamed rice with any kuzhambu of choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment