Friday, January 10, 2014

Fish Tawa Fry | Simple Fish Fry


After coming to California I tried many varieties of fish as like we get in India. In a way am happy for the switching from Minnesota. I tried King Fish (vanjaram), Pomfret (vavval) and also Golden thread (sankara) fish fries. As I already told u, am a great great fan of fish… and sankara (golden thread) is one of my favorite. I love to have fish with the bones. Actually the bones enhance the tastes. TH really gets irritated to eat the fish along with the bones.


This recipe was tried long before when I was in Minnesota. I tried it with Catfish. Amma always makes this masala for Sankara meen and it melts in mouth… whenever we buy fish, my work is to clean and doing the marinating. TH does the frying part for me patiently. I must say he is an expert in doing that. I really like the way he fries the fish for me. Even this fry was done by him and I simply ate it once they are piping hot.


Try this recipe with any variety of fish and let me know ur reviews. Don’t forget to check out other recipes of Fish. Click here for the recipe


Preparation time: 30-45 mins
Cooking time: 15-20 mins 

Ingredients


Fish fillets – 2 nos
1tsp chopped onions
1tsp chopped tomatoes
2tsp chilli powder (adjust to taste)
1 ½ tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 marble size tamarind ball
Salt (to taste)
Oil (for shallow frying)

How to make it

  • Wash the fish fillets with some turmeric powder and keep aside. I used catfish fillets. You can try with any type of fillets. Tilapia and salmon are also good with this masala.
  • Soak the tamarind ball with little of water. Squeeze the extract of the tamarind juice. Keep aside.
  • In a mixer grind onions, tomatoes, chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder to a smooth paste. Use the tamarind water to make the paste. Add salt and mix again.
  • Marinate the fish fillets with this spice paste and keep in fridge for half an hour.
  • In a pan/tawa heat oil and place the fillets one by one slowly on the hot tawa. Cook on one side in medium flame. Allow time for the fillet to cook inside.
  • Then flip to the other side and cook till it turns golden brown. Add oil as per needed. Make sure the fish fillets are not stuck to the pan.
  • Serve hot with rice along with any kuzhambu or rasam. Even sambar accompanies better with this tawa fry fish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment