Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Broccoli Rice Recipe | Easy One-pot Meal | Simple Lunch Box Recipe


I was not a fan of this broccolis and I hated it to the core and never tried or attempted to cook. After knowing the health benefits of it, I wanted to give a try. I tried making biryani with broccoli and it was not that great and TH doesn’t like the flavors. I don’t wanna give up trying again and again. When I saw this recipe in a cookery show, I got excited!!!




The technique I found from that show is, crushing the broccoli and adding to the rice gives a different taste and it neva make us to think that we are eating broccolis. I found it interesting and grabbed the idea and implemented with some of my thoughts. Adding mint leaves enhances the flavors and green peas give a crunchy feel in between. You can even try adding corns. Am damn sure this could be a one-pot meal and can be added to the lunch box menus. I served it with pappad and TH liked to have raitha for this. Let me know ur reviews about this recipes…

Preparation time: 5mins
Cooking time: 15-20mins

Ingredients

1 broccoli
1tbsp chopped onions
1-2 green chillies
1tsp ginger garlic paste
2 cups of cooked rice
Few mint leaves (optional)
Green peas (optional)
Salt
Oil
1tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
1tsp pepper powder (adjust accordingly)
Coriander leaves (to garnish)

How to make it

  • Cut the broccoli to get the florets and put them in hot water for some time, as like we do for cauliflower. Keep for 10 mins.

  • Then crush the broccoli in a food chopper as shown below. Don’t have a food chopper? Then use ur mixer. Use the pulse button once or twice to crush the florets. Make sure ur not making it as a paste.

  • In a pan heat oil and splutter mustard and cumin. If u has curry leaves, go for it. Splutter some to get the flavors. Follow adding mint leaves to the oil. Add onions and sauté them well till transparent.

  • Add ginger garlic paste and green chillies to the onions and cook further.

  • Once it is cooked, add the crushed broccoli and blend well. Sprinkle some water (1-2 tsp) to cook the broccoli. Cook by closing the lid. Add salt at this stage and check the spiciness.

  • Cook till the raw smell of broccoli leaves and the moisture is gone.

  • Switch off the stove and mix the content with the cooked rice. Fold the rice carefully and don’t smash it. Fold from the sides to blend them well. Add pepper powder if u need more spiciness.

  • Heat the mixed rice for 1-2 mins to serve hot.
  • Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.




Notes
  1. Using mint leaves and green peas is optional. I used frozen green peas which are precooked. So I added at the time of adding broccoli. If ur using fresh ones, cook it separately in boiling water and then add it.
  2. Make sure the broccolis are crushed properly. Take care not to make smooth powder or paste of it.
  3. I used mustard and cumin as per my taste. U can even try spluttering fennels, cinnamon as like u wish. 
Linking this Recipe to: Cooking with Seeds Rice Event 




No comments:

Post a Comment