Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Gulab Jamun Recipe | Indian Sweets Recipe


I rarely make Indian sweets at home. The first sweet I tried was Rasmalai which was a grand success and it flew away in just ten mins. I took me around five months for me to make one more Indian sweet at home. It was TH’s Birthday and I wanted to make some cake at home. But unfortunately I had a sprain and I could not able do anything special on his Birthday. This makes me worry and I tried my best to make these Jamuns which is TH’s favorite sweet in the world. I made it simply using MTR mix and I wanted to share the happy occasion on my wall post. 


Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10-15mins

Ingredients

1 cup MTR Gulab Jamun Mix
¼ cup water
Oil (for deep frying)
To make sugar syrup
4 cups of sugar
4 cups of water
½ tsp Rose essence (optional)
1-2 cardamom


How to make Jamun 

  • Take a large bowl and add MTR mix. Now slowly add water and knead it to soft dough. Allow it to rest for 15 mins. Cover it with a lid.


  • Use this time to make sugar syrup.
  • Apply some oil to both the palm and divide the dough into small, equal balls. Make sure they don’t form cracks in between. Apply some more oil (if needed) to avoid the cracks.

  • In a wok heat oil, enough for deep frying. Once the oil is hot enough, slowly add the balls to the hot oil and deep fry on both the sides till it turns golden brown.

  •  Swirl the balls with the ladle and make sure the balls are cooked inside.

  • Drain the excess oil with a kitchen napkin and directly add the balls to the warm sugar syrup.



How to make sugar syrup

  • Add equal amount of sugar and water together and bring it to boil.
  • Allow the sugar to dissolve completely in water and add the cardamom to the boiling water.

  • Reduce the flame to maximum low for another 15mins.
  • Add the first batch of the jamun to the syrup and switch off the flame. Mix rose water(if using) to the syrup and blend it well.

  • Remove from fire and allow the jamun to absorb the syrup for 25-30mins.
  • Serve either hot/chill along with sugar syup.



Notes
  1. Don’t allow the jamun to stay in the syrup for longer time. 30mins is enough for the jamnus to absorb the syrup. This makes the jamun to break in the sugar syrup. While serving place the jamun in a serving bowl and pour syrup on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment