Monday, July 14, 2014

How to make Dosa | Dosa Batter Recipe | South-Indian Style Dosa Recipe (With Video)


I already have a post on How to make Soft Idli, a year back. I wanted to post some tips and tricks about making dosa for a long time. I wanted to make it simple by giving a video presentation, but being a lazy bugger, I don’t have the patience to take a video of my own. TH was there at home last weekend and I asked him for the help. He patiently took this video for me.
I don’t make separate batter for making dosa. The same batter which I use for idli, makes the work easier. To get the thin and crisp version of dosa, I used to add a cup of water to thinner the batter. Click here to see on How to make Batter for Idli and Dosa.


Stay tuned to get more variations of Dosa. 
Don’t forget to look into the video for more information.


 Ingredients

4 cups of Idli rice
1 cup of urad dal
½ -¾ tsp fenugreek seeds/vendhayam
Salt
Water

How to make it

  • Check here on how to make Batter.
  • Dilute the batter with a cup of water to get thin, crisp dosa. Evenly mix the batter with a ladle.
  • Heat cast iron tawa or non stick one and grease it with oil. Take a ladle full of batter and spread on the center of the tawa in a circular motion.
  • After a minute, drizzle the dosa with oil to the sides. Either oil or ghee can be used.
  • Carefully flip to the other side and cook for 2-3 secs.
  • Serve hot with sambar and chutney.




Few tips and tricks:

  • Some used to add sugar while grinding batter, especially for making dosa to get the perfect brown color. I don’t prefe using sugar, so I dint add in my recipe. Fenugreek does the work perfectly. But keep in mind over-adding of fenugreek gives bitterness to the taste.
  • Amma used to close with the lid while making dosa. This gives the time for the dosa to cook well and it turns soft. If you want to get a crisper dosa, don’t close with the lid. But keep in mind to give time for the dosa to cook well.
  • Always keep the flame in medium. If the tawa turns to be too hot, balance it by sprinkling water on top. The perfect temperature is very important for making the crispier dosa.
  • Always grease the tawa with oil before pouring the batter. I have seen few sponges for greasing the tawa in market. If you don’t have that, never mind… grease the tawa with half cut onion. This gives an evenly coated tawa which is ready for use.
  • Use a soft sponge to clean the tawa. Don’t ever roughly handle the tawa. I just used to water my tawa in running water with a soft sponge with no soap. If using soap, use a milder one.
  • Even nonstick tawa are also used for making dosa. But I prefer using cast iron tawa which gives the dosa the perfect taste and color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment