Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Rasam Powder Recipe | Home-made Rasam Powder


After seeing so many responses for my Sambar Powder Recipe, I thought of making Rasam Powder. And also its high time for me to make, since my rasam powder which I got from amma is gonna end. As usual this recipe is from amma. She makes the prefect rasam to my knowledge. It’s been a pleasure for me to have her rasam after the meals. I sometimes insist her to make Idicha Pepper Rasam, when I have sore throat or running nose. It will give  immediate relief for the trouble.



In this recipe I used powder asafoetida, hence added while grinding. If ur using solid asafoetida, just sauté them while roasting red chillies and follow with the steps given below. This powder can be stored in an airtight container for 1-3 months, if stored properly. I don’t prefer storing it for long, since the intense flavor will be lost after some days. 


Check out few of my Rasam Recipes here and let me know about all ur reviews.

Ingredients

1 cup Pepper corns
1 cup cumin seeds
10-15 dry red chillies
Asafoetida (generous pinch)
1tsp toor dal

How to make it

  • In a pan dry roast all the items given above. Roast the items separately till the aroma wafts.
  • Keep the flame in low-medium and take care not to burn the ingredients.
  • Remove the pepper corns as soon as it starts to splutter. Don’t allow too much time for it to crackle. Else it will turn bitter.

  • Cumin will be roasted in a fraction of second. So be careful in roasting cumin.

  • Keep the roasted ingredients to air dry. Dry them completely.


  • Then grind the ingredients in a mixer along with asafoetida as coarse or smooth powder.



  • Store the powder in an air tight box and use it for making rasam as required. Always use dry spoon to take the required amount and close with the lid immediately after use.
  • This can be stored for about 2-3 months at room temperature.



No comments:

Post a Comment