Monday, October 21, 2013

Ridge gourd Chutney | Peerkangai Chutney | Peerkangai Thogayal


You will never know to which u ll become addictive. I never used to taste this peerkangai in my life and don’t tried this before even. But when my mom told she made chutney using the outer skin of ridge gourd, I gave a thought of trying it at my home. I asked for the recipe from her and replicated it in my kitchen. Here in US it is very tough to get Indian vegetables at the local market. So I need to travel thirty miles to get the veggies. Once I went to the Indian market I purposefully got one and tried the next day. I just loved it when I had with the simple sambar. It will be a taste savior when had at the times of nausea. 



Preparation time: less than 5 mins
Cooking time: less than 5 mins

Ingredients

1 ridge gourd (peerkangai)
2 tsp urad dal
3-5 red chillies
Marble sized tamarind
1-2 tsp grated coconut
Salt
Oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
Few curry leaves

How to make it

  • Wash and scrap the outer skin of ridge gourd. Chop the skin part alone into small pieces.
  • In a pan roast urad dal and red chillies with little of oil till light golden brown.  Keep aside.

  • In the same pan heat little of oil again and sauté the ridge gourd till the raw smell of it leaves. Add the tamarind ball as such and sauté a little.

  • Cool the mixture to room temperature.
  • Add the ridge gourd, tamarind, red chillies and coconut to the blender with no water and blend them into a fine paste.

  • Finely add the urad dal to the paste (chutney) and grind coarsely.
  • Transfer to a serve bowl and temper with mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves on top.




Notes:
  1. You can either grind the urad dal coarsely or smooth.
  2. Make this chutney with the outer skin of ridge gourd and make kootu using the rest. 


No comments:

Post a Comment